We are the Tonhalle-Orchester Zürich. Classical music is our passion, and has been since 1868. A special energy is created when we play with our Music Director Paavo Järvi – because no two concerts are ever alike.
We love the variety of stimuli brought to us by our guest conductors and enjoy being challenged by internationally acclaimed soloists. Together with you, we are always eager to discover both unknown masterpieces and commissioned works.
We, the Tonhalle-Orchester Zürich,
- consist of approximately 100 musicians from about 20 countries, and play about 50 different programmes at more than 100 concerts each season
- give regular guest performances, which have taken us to over 100 cities in more than 30 countries to date
- create – besides our orchestral projects – and plan our own chamber music series
- have outstanding soloists in our midst, who also perform their own concert series
- have played under our 11th Chief Conductor, Music Director Paavo Järvi, since the 2019/20 season
- are proud to have David Zinman as our Conductor Laureate
- have already released more than 40 CD recordings
- recorded orchestral works by Messiaen and Tchaikovsky in our first CD projects with Paavo Järvi, which were received with critical acclaim and won awards such as the Diapason d’Or (Messiaen CD, 2019) and the German Record Critics’ Prize (Tchaikovsky CD, 2020).
After four seasons based at the Tonhalle Maag in the Zürich-West district, we will once again be playing in the lavishly renovated Tonhalle Zürich from the beginning of the 2021/22 season. Our central concert hall, the Grosse Tonhalle, is internationally renowned for its outstanding acoustics.